8th September 2016 – This event is fully book
7th September 2016 – As of today some events are currently full – 37 schools entered so far.
For the past twelve years, the highly successful‘Introduction to Athletics for Primary Schools’ events have taken place at the IT Sligo Athletics Arena. The Festivals were based on a number of different relay events. Sligo Sport and Recreation Partnership, Sligo Athletics Association and Youth Sport West plan to host a similar event for 2016 with generous sponsorship from Super Valu.
This year’s event has been rescheduled for Friday 23rd September 2016
ATHLETICS – FUN & PARTICIPATION
The primary focus of this event is on participation rather than competition. A fun and enjoyable experience is our goal at the athletics fest and it is therefore envisaged that all schools taking part will send participants of all ability levels.
- All participants will receive a tee-shirt
- All athletes will receive a certificate of participation
- Winning teams will receive a certificate of achievement for their school.
The ultimate aim of this initiative is to increase the number of young people joining local athletics clubs and we ask school to let children know hte contact details of their local clubs. Please see all the Athletics Clubs in County Sligo listed below.
North Sligo A.C – Marie Mullen – 087 6340263 – email@example.com – www.northsligoac.com – www.facebook.com/North-Sligo-Athletic-Club
Sligo A.C – Fionuala Silk – firstname.lastname@example.org – www.sligoathleticclub.com – www.facebook.com/SligoAthleticClub/
South Sligo A.C – Eimear O’Boyle – 087 8160067 – email@example.com – www.southsligoac.net – www.facebook.com/SouthSligoAthletic
Corran A.C – Gerri Tighe – 087 6698418 – firstname.lastname@example.org – https://corranac.wordpress.com/ – www.facebook.com/corranac/
Calry A.C – Zola Flynn – 087 9434710 – email@example.com
Tireragh A.C – Deidre Johnston – 086 0876253 – firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT THINGS TO READ…
- All teams must be pre-entered on the official Entry Form or online by closing date of Monday 12th September, if maximum numbers are reached before this entries will be closed, places allocated on a first come first served basis.
- All school groups must be accompanied by at least one adult/teacher
- No athlete may compete in more than one event
- Maximum number of participants per school is 36
- Schools may only enter 1 team per relay event.
- Entry fee is €2 per athlete place, payable on the day or before the event.
- Assembly and registration of athletes will take place at 10.30 am on the day, events will start at 11.00am sharp, If your team miss their heat start time we will NOT be able to let that team run in another heat.
- Participants will wear colour coded t-shirts for each event and must move to the starting/holding area when called, if they finish 1st or 2nd in their heat they must wait on the soccer pitch in the centre of track for the final.
- Participants must wear clothing suitable for athletics (ie. shorts or tracksuit)
- Participants must wear runners or spikes (Only 5mm spikes are permitted)
- Participants must come dressed for participation, only a small number of changing rooms are available at the IT Sligo and pupils must be supervised by a teacher in these changing rooms at all times.
- Participants are asked not to bring school bags with books, only change of clothes and food in plastic bags. Teachers are asked to make sure these bags are stored safely along the fence and not left on the walkway blocking safe passage or causing trip hazards for other participants. If your school is asked by an event organiser to move bags please do so, as this is an important safety issue.
- Participants should bring adequate refreshments – drinks and food, there are no facilities at the Knocknarea Arena to purchase food/tea or coffee.
- Photographs will be taken at this event and will be used for promotion purposes, in newsletters, websites etc of the Sligo Sport and Recreation Partnership and event sponsors Super Valu. It is the responsibility of the school to notify the event organisers if there is any child who may not be in photos.
- T-shirts and event programme will be delivered to schools the day before the event.
Applications for the Primary Schools Athletics festival are now open.
To download a postal entry click this link – Entry Form 2016
To download Event Brochure – Click here
CLOSING DATE for return of completed entry forms is Monday 12th September 2016. Places are allocated on a first come first served basis and events will be closed once maximum numbers are reached.