Rescheduled for Tuesday 26th September
NEW FORMAT FOR 2017
7th September – Some events are now full please contact the office before sending in Entry Forms
12th September – Event is now fully booked out – no more entries can be taken.
For the past thirteen years, the highly successful ‘Introduction to Athletics for Primary Schools’ events have taken place at the IT Sligo Athletics Arena. Sligo Sport and Recreation Partnership, Sligo Athletics Association and Youth Sport West plan to host a similar event for 2017 with sponsorship from Super Valu.
This year there are a few changes to events as follows. (Full details of changes can be read on the entry form)
- There will be no 200m Relay events
- Each school can bring two teams to the Senior 100m events.
- There will be 8 heats in the senior 100m events with only the first team from each heat qualifying for the final.
- There will be a boys and girls individual 200m event
ATHLETICS – FUN & PARTICIPATION
The primary focus of this event is on participation rather than competition. A fun and enjoyable experience is our goal at the athletics fest and it is therefore envisaged that all schools taking part will send participants of all ability levels.
- All participants will receive a tee-shirt
- All athletes will receive a certificate of participation
- Winning teams/individuals will receive a certificate of achievement for their school.
The ultimate aim of this initiative is to increase the number of young people joining local athletics clubs and we ask school to let children know hte contact details of their local clubs. Please see all the Athletics Clubs in County Sligo listed below.
North Sligo A.C – Marie Mullen – 087 6340263 – email@example.com – www.northsligoac.com – www.facebook.com/North-Sligo-Athletic-Club
Sligo A.C – Fionuala Silk – firstname.lastname@example.org – www.sligoathleticclub.com – www.facebook.com/SligoAthleticClub/
South Sligo A.C – Eimear O’Boyle – 087 8160067 – email@example.com – www.southsligoac.net – www.facebook.com/SouthSligoAthletic
Corran A.C – Gerri Tighe – 087 6698418 – firstname.lastname@example.org – https://corranac.wordpress.com/ – www.facebook.com/corranac/
Calry A.C – Zola Flynn – 087 9434710 – email@example.com
Tireragh A.C – Deirdre Johnston – 086 0876253 – firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT THINGS TO READ…
- There are a number of changes to events for 2017 as listed earlier.
- All school must pre-enter on the official Entry Form by the closing date of Wednesday 13th September. Places are allocated on a first come first served basis, when maximum numbers are reached entries will be closed,
- All school groups must be accompanied by at least one adult/teacher
- No athlete may compete in more than one event
- Maximum number of participants per school is 38
- Entry fee is €2 per athlete place, payable on the day
- Assembly and registration of athletes will take place at 10.30am on the day, events will start at 11.00am sharp, If your athletes miss their heat start time we will NOT be able to let that team run in another heat as all lanes will be full.
- Participants will wear colour coded t-shirts for each event and must move to the starting/holding area when called, if they finish 1st or 2nd in their heat for the Junior 100m events and the Individual 200m events or first in the Senior 100m events they must wait in the tent in the centre of track for the final.
- Participants must wear clothing suitable for athletics (ie. shorts or tracksuit)
- Participants must wear runners or spikes (Only 5mm spikes are permitted)
- Participants must come dressed for participation, only a small number of changing rooms are available at the IT Sligo and pupils must be supervised by a teacher in these changing rooms at all times.
- Participants are asked not to bring school bags with books, only change of clothes and food in plastic bags. Teachers are asked to make sure these bags are stored safely along the fence and not left on the walkway blocking safe passage or causing trip hazards for other participants.
- The 200m event requires more fitness endurance than the 100m event please make sure the child entered in the 200m is comfortable with running this distance.
- Participants should bring adequate refreshments – drinks and food, there will only be a coffee cart on site to purchase snacks/tea or coffee.
- Photographs will be taken at this event and will be used for promotion purposes, on social media, in newsletters, websites etc of the Sligo Sport and Recreation Partnership and event sponsors SuperValu. It is the responsibility of the school to notify the event organisers if there is any child who may not be in photos.
- T-shirts and event programme will be delivered to schools the day before the event.
Applications for the Primary Schools Athletics festival are now open.
To download the entry from click this link – Entry Form 2017
To download Event Brochure – Click here
CLOSING DATE for return of completed entry forms is Wednesday 13th September 2017. Places are allocated on a first come first served basis and events will be closed once maximum numbers are reached, this event has closed in advance of closing date the past two years.