Physical literacy is defined as “the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical activities for life”
Physical literacy is the foundation for lifelong involvement in physical activity according to The Lifelong Involvement in Sport & Physical Activity (LISPA) model.
Join us to learn more…
Understanding Physical Literacy Module
The Understanding Physical Literacy Module (Online) has been developed by Sport Ireland Coaching in partnership with Stranmillis University College to provide a personal and professional development opportunity for those interested in developing their own physical literacy and/or helping others develop their physical literacy throughout the life course.
This module is an interactive 2 hour online workshop which will:
- Outline the origins, definition, elements, relationship between the elements and importance of physical literacy.
- Explain whether individuals can be described as ‘physically literate’ and whether physical literacy can be assessed.
- Discuss why physical activity is so important to children and how we can do more to encourage it.
- Explore findings from national and international research that highlights the need to increase children’s levels of physical literacy as part of the long-term approach to increasing wellbeing and reducing levels of preventable disease.
Workshop Outcomes for Participants are:
- Explain the importance of Physical Activity for Children
- Explain what is meant by the physical literacy learning journey. Articulate the rationale behind the physical literacy journey – a ‘road map’ that can be used by anyone who guides children along their physical literacy learning journey.
- Explain how they can contribute to its development in the children and young people with whom they interact at home and in the community.
- Understand how to organise safe, purposeful and meaningful physical activities for all children.
Register Online line at https://pl1sligo.eventbrite.ie