Youth Sport West provides schools with extracurricular programmes. The programme is delivered by a qualified coach on the school premises. This allows children to experience a sport for the first time in the fun friendly and familiar environment of their school with friends. They develop the basic skills for the sport and this gives them the confidence to move onto joining a sports club or local group.
Benefits of Youth Sport West
- Provision of non-competitive sports and activities to pupils. Takes emphasis off competition and focuses on participation and fun.
- Ability to offer extra curricular actives for children who do not want to play team sports, e.g. aerobics, dance, gymnastics etc
- Getting those who did not normally engage in sport to participate. As a result many unlikely pupils have developed an interest in and enjoyment of sport, with some having gone on to join local clubs
- In previous projects not only were increased levels of fitness and enhanced health benefits of participants reported, but increased self confidence, self esteem and more positive attitudes and behaviour were also key outcomes
- To build structures that remove the barriers which previously existed to a young person participating in sport within rural/urban areas
- Access to high quality coaching in a range of sports for schools that would not otherwise have been able to offer this
- Establish and build links between schools and wider community.
Youth Sport West is available to Primary and Secondary Schools in County Sligo. It offers a 6 week sport/physical activity programme delivered by qualified coaches from the Youth Sport West Database.
The extra-curricular programme can take place after school or half in half out of lunch break (for schools depending on buses home). Youth Sport West cannot take place fully in curriculum time.
The cost of a 6 week programme to a school is €180 which goes towards covering the fees of the coach.
Coaches work on a part-time therefore availability of sports/activities is based on the availability of the coach, schools may need to be flexible on programme days to ensure getting a specific programme, or book a term in advance if a particular day is allocated for the programme.
Archery (Indoor or Outdoor), Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Bootcamp – Fun Fitness, Boxercise, Boxing, Circuits – Fitness or Sports Skills, Cricket, Cycling (ratio 1 coach:15 children) 2 coaches available for programmes, Dance (Limited availability), Golf (Limited availability), Gymnastics, Hockey, Kettlebell Fitness, Multi-Sport (fun games, fundamental movements), Walking – Nordic or Trail, Olympic Handball, Orienteering, Pilates, Rugby, Soccer, Triathlon, Yoga
For further information or to book a programme contact:
Theresa Kilgannon, Youth Sports Development Officer, Youth Sport West,
MSL ETB Building, Quay Street, Sligo.
Tel: 071 9161511 Email: email@example.com