As part of European Week of Sport 2021, Sligo Sport and Recreation Partnership pledges to deliver on the following targets: 40 schools, 1280 children, 10 events, 6 athletic clubs, along with SuperValu as sponsor. We will all work together to celebrate European week and increase participation in physical activity in a fun and enjoyable way. For the past seventeen years, the successful ‘Introduction to Athletics for Primary Schools’ has taken place. Last year as a response to the Covid-19 pandemic, we saw the event ‘Staying Local’ in the school grounds. This approach had the same great fun as the original event and was really enjoyed by all schools that participated. Sligo Sport and Recreation Partnership, Sligo Athletics Association and Youth Sport West plan to hold the same event this year in schools from the 23rd September to 30th September 2021. We are looking forward to the same participation and fun!
THIS YEARS EVENT
We are encouraging all schools to get involved and participate from their own school grounds. How it will work:
- Children will be selected and registered by their own school for the events in the same way to previous years.
- An SSRP Athletics Official will come to your school and set up a 25 metre shuttle area using cones adhering to strict Covid-19 protocols and social distancing guidelines.
- Each child on a team will run 4 x 25 metre shuttles, once all 4 team members have completed their runs (400m in total) for their event and the time will be recorded by an SSRP Athletics Official.
- Their time will be entered for their event on a leader board with all other participating school.
- This year we are excited to have reintroduced a field event. One senior girl and one senior boy from each school can participate in the shot put.
All participants will receive a t-shirt and a certificate of participation. The top three teams/ individuals for each event will receive a certificate of achievement for their school. We are looking forward to continuing our enjoyable Athletics fest again this year.
Sports Development Officer Deborah Sherlock will be making contact with schools about this years event. For queries, you can contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org