North Sligo Primary Care Team (PCT) has been operating since 2008 and, as part of the policy of having active involvement of the community in the work of the PCT, a community health forum (CHF) was set up in 2011. A community needs assessment was carried out and identified information about and access to physical activity opportunities as a priority for many people of all ages, living in North Sligo. Arising from this Sligo Sport and Recreation Partnership in conjunction with the Health Service Executive, North Sligo PCT and Community Health Forum are working together to promote physical activity and sport for all through and initiative ‘Want 2 Move’ North Sligo.
A long term, ultimate aim of this project is to contribute to positive personal health and well-being as well as reducing overweight and obesity and the associated health problems in the population, as well as promotion of better mental health. The shorter term local aims are:
a. to work in partnership with the local community, the CHF and the PCT in North Sligo
b. to raise awareness in the local community of physical activity opportunities in North Sligo
c. to raise awareness within the PCT of physical activity opportunities in North Sligo
d. to increase the number of people, of all ages, in North Sligo participating in some form of physical activity, by setting up an accessible information sharing system
1. To develop a database of physical activity opportunities available in North Sligo and to disseminate this information via the community health forum, the PCT, other community groups already identified and among the general public in North Sligo
2. To keep the database updated, including developing the means to do this regularly
3. To initiate some specific physical activity programmes within North Sligo in partnership with Sligo Sports and Recreation Partnership
• Online Want2Move Activity Guide available on SSRP’ website and shared amongst the CHF and PCT
• New initiatives developed to address gaps in provision of physical activity programmes including, fitness programme for new and expectant mothers with HealthStyles Leisure centre, Outdoor gym programme, new local community Walking group, St. Molaise Gaels GAA Ladies Fitness programme & North Sligo Sports and Leisure Centre fitness programme.
Download the specially collated Want 2 Move Activity Guide below, detailing many of the physical activity and sporting opportunities in the area.
Download here …North Sligo Activity Guide; Issue Oct-Dec 2015
Below is the current listing of walks with the North Sligo Walking Group…